Monday, September 28, 2009

Iran and Religion

Iran has been on my mind all day. It started this morning when I signed on Facebook and saw various status updates saying that it’s “time to bomb Iran,” and “I’m scared we’re going to get nuked by Iran.”

Iran announced last week that they have a second nuclear facility under construction, which intelligence agencies in America have known about for years. Since it became public, it seems to have sent a wave of panic from the Middle East to the shores of the United States.

Then today, Iran was reported to test fire medium-range missiles early this morning, striking even more fear into the heart of Americans, even though isn’t the first time they’ve tested weapons of this nature and even though the tests were announced days ago.

First off, my fellow citizens, I assure you, you are safe from Iran.

It blows my mind how ignorant people in this country can be. Even years into the foolish and costly Iraq war, the American public is eager to misinterpret information so that they can beat on their war drums. Have we learned nothing?

I have yet to turn on the TV today but I could only imagine what people are saying about how Iran is a grave threat to this country and questioning whether or not we should use force against them.

Please.

But to be fair, if I were in Israel, a close alley of ours, I’d be a bit worrisome.

Apparently Iran has the capability to streak Israel with missiles and from what I understand, they worship different gods, which is usually problematic.

And from what I understand, I think Israel’s god is the same or at least similar and/or has an alliance with our god here in America, which is why the media tells us it’s in our interest as good Americans to be scared of Iran.

Maybe I’m misinterpreting the whole situation, but I don’t get it. I don’t get why people cling to their religious beliefs and why some people believe a piece of land is holy and some land is not. People believe so strongly in their gods that they’re willing to die for it. They are convinced they are righteous and the other side is wrong.

We Americans and Israelis can have weapons of mass destruction because we are “good,” but they can’t because they are “bad.” I’m sure Iran sees the situation differently.

I’m glad I don’t live in the Middle East because of this mess, but I also don’t understand why we in America are involved. Are we a religious nation? Are our political associations based on religious beliefs? I didn’t think our forefathers wanted it that way.

I feel like there’s so much about the situation in the Middle East that I don’t understand. Why is there and why has there been so much hatred towards Jewish people, or any other religion for that matter?

I wish this world would stop arguing over gods and land and learn to live together. If you look at the Universe as we know it, we have but this semi-microscopic planet we call Earth. And as far as we know, this little place in the Universe is the only place where life exists. Life and our world are both precious and I really hope we don’t destroy them over something as silly as religion.

I don’t know, something I feel like I missed the memo.

No comments:

Post a Comment