Friday, September 25, 2009

My rejected moment/first-essay pt. 2

I missed the phone call because as usual, I was loudly playing the drums. When I took a break to get a glass of water I passed by the answering machine and saw a red light blinking, indicating my family had a message. Usually I didn’t get calls but I pressed the play button anyways and walked over to the sink to fill my glass. As my glass began to fill, a guy’s voice on the machine said the message was for me. I listened on. It was a senior from my high school, the class ahead of me. He said he was getting a band together and heard from one of my fellow marching band geeks that I played the drums. He wanted to get together to jam the next weekend.

My cup overflowed.

I literally jumped so high I almost hit my head on the ceiling fan. I yelled and waved my fists around like a madman. This was it – I was going to be in a band. I would be playing music with real people. I was going to be a rock star.

Of course, it never led to a record contract or a world tour. But it did lead to everything I wanted at the time. I became very good friends with the other members of our band. We would hang out in our practice space that we rented downtown. After words we would head to our singer’s house and listen to music and fantasize together about our future stardom. On weekends we would stay over at each other’s houses, drinking warm 40s we snuck in with our backpacks. As our band got better and we began playing around town, the opposite sex’s interest in me seemed to blossom. We would throw parties and play a set in front of our classmates and peers. We would play shows around town, sometimes in front of a hundred or so people, and always get a good reaction.

I felt like a rock star alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment