Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Rules of Attraction

…and if you really want to hear about it, I watched the Rules of Attraction tonight for the first time in a few years and I really enjoyed it. I had a completely different perspective on the film from when I watched it the first time freshman year. I took that as a sign that I must be learning something in college and that I’m maturing. The book the film is based on, by Bret Easton Ellis, one was of the first novels I couldn’t put down and had an effect on how I thought. I read it freshman year of college and I passed my copy on to someone else shortly there after. I remember walking around campus the day after I read it, having new perspectives and thoughts on college and growing up. I hope that copy is still in rotation four years later. It’s a great read for college. It was one of those books I read in less than 24 hours, a book that engaged me so much it sucked me in completely. Catcher in the Rye was the first book that did that for me. That was the one, my first love. I don’t know how I got a copy of it in the first place. I don’t remember how I even heard about it. It’s like ground zero in my life, book wise. It was something in my life that changed my life forever. For one, it made me realize I much I enjoyed reading, but more importantly, I feel truly connected to something for the first time. I remember feeling like I could really relate to the protagonist. I cried while I read it but I didn’t really know why. I wish I could find more Catchers in the Rye. It was my first love and I compare everything to it but nothing quite matches up. Maybe it’s just because of the romance that came along with it being the first book I really connected with. I should read it again to see my reaction… I’m not really in the mood for blogging tonight but I’m trying to keep up with it and force myself to write. For 3:30 in the am, I think I’m doing pretty good. Random, but at least it’s something. Anyway, today was progressive. I’m finally feeling like I’m getting into the swing of things this semester. A month late, but hey. I’ve taken on some in depth projects this semester journalism-wise and they’re starting to take form. The first month of school I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by them – they were too big, too complex and I had not handle on them. Usually when I work I write quick stories, in a few hours, and I’m done. Immediate satisfaction. Not today. I’m working on stories that are taking months to write. The stories have a lot of gray area. They’re not so black and white. Thankfully, I’m finally starting to see where I’m going with them. It’s not a quick fix but I’m getting excited for the process and the results. I feel like I’m taking my work as an aspiring journalist to the next step. I think the handle of it all is that…

No comments:

Post a Comment