Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey Weekend Part 2.


We sat around the fire discussing life and decided it was time for bed at 3 or 4 in the morning, though I can’t be sure because all electronic devices were turned off, free from the shackles of technology that I usually cling to throughout the week.

We woke up to cracking thunder at dawn and the sound of rain patterning down on our tent. It was really something hearing that thunder, which would erupt for 10 to 20 seconds every minute or so. However, the rain was not music to my ears with the cold weather and the work to pack up that we faced in the morning.

Luckily it passed and we were able to pack up our gear with little discomfort, only needing to avoid the occasional puddle.

After a breakfast of coffee, eggs, sausage and peppers cooked over a fire (which makes food taste so much better) we headed back on the road.

The first stop was Tombstone were we walked around and checked out the site where the famous gunfight at the OK Corral took place, which was neat because we learned our camp site was in the area where Doc Holiday hid out after the infamous duel.

After we were done with Tombstone we headed to Benson and browsed minerals, metals and rocks at a great mom and pop rock shop.

We loaded up on PowerAde and beef jerkey at a Benson gas station and headed back to Tucson.

I was dropped off at my parents house and age lasagna cooked by our houseguests in town from San Diego and checked my email for the first time in two day, the longest I’ve gone without being online all semester, which was refreshing.

I had a pleasant surprise for me waiting on my email. The director of Arizona Public Media, whom I had wrote a letter of interest to a few weeks ago (see previous blog) had written me an email informing me I would be their new intern next semester. I’ll be reporting through both their web site and as an on air radio reporter. I’m very excited but also a bit nervous, as I’ve never reported through the audio format. But I know I’ll get through it and learn a lot through the process. It was nice to get something I applied for. It was a reminder not to be afraid of rejection, something that's held me back this semester professionally.

So I’ll leave my blog with that. I always thought I’d take my blog down after 306 but I think I’m going to leave it up. I enjoy having my semester documented and I appreciate being able to look back at the story of my life over the past few months. I’ve learned that writing for oneself can be quite enjoyable through this blog and that it’s a good thing to do, especially in retrospect. As I continue my career as a reporter I want to remember the importance on reporting and recording stories about myself from time to time.

But for now, goodbye old blog. I’ll see you after finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment