Sunday, November 8, 2009

Busy weekend in Tucson

I had quite the eventful weekend in Tucson. Friday evening I met up with an old friend and his wife and we went to the Firefighter’s chili cook off downtown. We ate lots of chili and caught up. I ran into a lot of old friends from high school too, which was nice. Chili was only a buck at each departments booth so I had about five or six cups, which resulted in a stomach ach, but hey, it’s for charity. After the cook off we walked over to the community center for the Ice Cats hockey game, the first home game of the season. We got beat by 5 or 6 goals but we had fun getting rowdy and yelling at the opposing team, Eastern Washington. After, we headed out and met up with a few of my friends from school at a bar downtown. I woke up early Saturday and headed to campus for the homecoming festivities. I met some old friends who we in town and tailgated for a bit, ate some hot dogs and watched the parade. It was much more fun than the game, which was a blowout. I left the game before half time because it was clear we would be the victor.

Today has been chill. I watched my girlfriend play in a homecoming lacrosse game, ex players vs. the new team. It was fun and I got some time to get some reading done. It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to read for pleasure. I was planning on getting some lunch with my parents this afternoon but my dad is ill. I’m not too disappointed because I just watched the film “Food Inc.” and I’ve lost my apatite for the time being. Tonight I’m going to attend the all souls precession down Fourth Ave. This is the 20th anniversary of the event and I’m looking forward to it. I’ll report more on that after.

I’m still debating what cause I want to take up in class. As an aspiring journalist, usually I take up causes by writing about them but by providing both sides of the issue so that the reader can make up their own mind. I think I’m going to take a similar approach to this assignment and just try and get the information out there, except in a form other than a newspaper article. I’m looking forward to it - it should be fun and I hope to learn some new skills in either graphic or web design. I’ve been meaning to play around with some of my software and this will be the perfect opportunity.

Anyways, I need to finish up some homework and get ready for the precession. It’s actually the first one I’ve been to so I’m not sure what to expect but I look forward to blogging about it later and maybe posting some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment