Thursday, November 5, 2009

Good day

I put in a public records request in South Tucson and I made their clerk squirm in the process - Always a good sign to a journalist. I got a tip the other day from a high ranking elected official, which was an honor in itself. He called my cell and told me that political rival of his, an elected official in South Tucson, does not live in South Tucson. For someone to be in office, it’s the law they live within their jurisdiction. Naturally, I wet myself a little. Granted, my deep-throat has a clear agenda, but I’ll take the tip nonetheless. I’m being very careful about my reporting to insure my tipster is not manipulating me but thus far, it’s promising information.

I’m writing for South Tucson’s only newspaper, El Independiente. It’s a student-run paper at UA’s School of Journalism. It’s what we call a capstone class within out school- a chance for us to showcase what we’ve learned throughout college in a semiprofessional setting. Some people don’t take us seriously, and some of our own staff doesn’t either for that matter, but I do. I already completed my capstone requirement last semester for a different project but I enrolled in this class to have some fun, get some good clips, but most importantly, make a difference. I’m a firm believer that the press is critical. Although papers are having an identity crisis, the written word is still mightier than the sword. I signed up for the class to make a difference and that’s what I intend to do. This story is a chance for me to do that.

I put in a public information request today, which is a legal binding request for information that is considered public information – something the government is required to provide anyone who asks for it. Because the other media outlets in Tucson largely ignore South Tucson, their government isn’t accustom to receiving these types of media inquiries. I think the media in Tucson does our community at large a great disservice by not looking into what happens in South Tucson, an independent 1.2-suqare mile city in the heart of Tucson, plagued with crime and corruption. I feel it’s the press’ duty to ask pressing questions and look after its citizens because it affects everyone in Tucson.

Anyways, when I asked for the information I needed, the city clerk said, “Wow, you don’t mess around.” I think I’m on to something and clearly I’m excited. I feel like I have the rare opportunity to make a difference as a student journalist. It’s why I got into writing in the first place and I hope it pans out.

Under freedom of information law, South Tucson has 72 hours to get back to me. I’ll find out then whether or not I’m on a witch-hunt or if I’m onto something.

No comments:

Post a Comment